[yocto] Keeping same IP address under DHCP

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Sep 13 12:40:10 PDT 2017

On 13 September 2017 at 20:32, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> Whenever I build a new version of my target system, the DHCP server in my
> router thinks it's a new machine, and assigns it a new IP address. This
> means that I have to edit the connection settings in Eclipse remote
> debugging. What is changing in my system that makes that happen, and is
> there any way, short of assigning a static IP address, to make the router
> continue to recognize it as the same machine?

A DHCP server will issue a new IP unless it's asked to renew by the client,
or has been configured to give out a static IP.  You could tell your DHCP
server to give out a static IP for the board's mac address, or install
something like avahi-daemon in the system (or your preferred mDNS
responder) and just use the hostname.

All of my systems have avahi-daemon installed, and I configure the hostname
in local.conf, so I don't need to care what IP a board has as I can just
ssh into bob.local.

Ross