[yocto] pyro openembedded gpsd update-rc.d problems with read-only-rootfs

Dan Walkes danwalkes at trellis-logic.com
Wed Sep 13 09:56:35 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> On 10 September 2017 at 21:35, Dan Walkes <danwalkes at trellis-logic.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It looks like because the update-rc.d step fails this setup gets moved
>> into a gpsd post install script, which won’t work because I’m
>> configured to use a read only root filesystem.  So I need to find a
>> way to keep the update-rc.d step from failing.
>

> The recipe shouldn't invoke update-alternatives directly, but use the
> update-alternatives class instead.

Thanks for the suggestion Ross.

I didn't mention it before but I had already attempted to make this
change after I initially noticed the problem.  See this commit:
https://github.com/Trellis-Logic/meta-openembedded/commit/ddf008dbdae602dbe722f1fcb231f5549e75a586

I didn't see any difference when I updated to use update-alternatives
instead of invoking directly.

Since the error message was related to update-rc.d I've also attempted
to use the multi-update form of update-rc.d in the above commit.  I
thought that might be required when multiple packages were built from
the same .bb file.  However, don't see a difference in the result with
these changes either.