[yocto] Suitable machine for yocto

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Mon Sep 11 01:38:09 PDT 2017

> On 11 Sep 2017, at 09:24, Usman Haider <usmanhaider89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com <mailto:ross.burton at intel.com>> wrote:
> On 10 September 2017 at 12:00, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com <mailto:opensource at keylevel.com>> wrote:
> I have a similar spec, except I use an SSD for the build area and only 16GB RAM (I don’t see more than about 12GB used during a build) - a build from scratch (excluding download time) takes just under an hour.
>
> The thing to remember with SSDs is that builds can write *a lot* of data and this can destroy SSDs faster than you'd like.
>
> Personally I find lots of RAM more cost effective.  If you've got a moderate amount then a slow commit time in fstab lets the kernel batch writes wisely.  If you've got plenty of RAM (my machine has 64GB) then a good sized tmpfs (32GB here) mounted at TMPDIR (the local.conf setting, not /tmp) in with rm_work means you literally have no I/O latency.  To persist files either copy them out or for example set DEPLOY_DIR to a real disk.
>
> Ross

> Thanks,
>
> I'll consider this too. A lot of techincal stuff to learn here on this mailing list :)

One thing you’ll find here is a lot of very knowledgable people who go out of their way to help as much as possible - got me going from a cold start very, very quickly :-)

A really good example of an excellent opensource project / community.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!