[yocto] Suitable machine for yocto

Alex Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 04:53:31 PDT 2017

On 10/09/2017 12:00, Chris Tapp wrote:
>> On 10 Sep 2017, at 09:05, Alex Lennon <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Usman,
>>
>> On 10/09/2017 08:00, Usman Haider wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can someone please recommend some good machine for yocto environment and building sdks. I am interested in RAM, hard disk space, processor.
>>>

>> I use a AMD FX-8350 4GHz Eight-Core Processor on a GA-78LMT-USB3 mainboard with 32GB RAM and a couple of 4TB drives, running Ubuntu 16.04.03 LTS.
> I have a similar spec, except I use an SSD for the build area and only 16GB RAM (I don’t see more than about 12GB used during a build) - a build from scratch (excluding download time) takes just under an hour.

I am toying with putting an SSD in there. I use the Samsung Evo 1TB
units for day to day on my laptop and that has worked very well for me.
Maybe I should move that forward.

16GB is no doubt absolutely fine in general. I suppose in part it may
depend on how many tasks are executing in parallel on the CPU cores.

I find a very few recipes are _real_ memory hogs. I imagine I could get
by with less RAM but Chromium and possibly Qt5 stick in the mind as
having intermittent build issues when the RAM was lower.

Cheers!

Alex