[yocto] is there a summary somewhere of container-based YP solutions?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Sep 8 14:30:38 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-08 4:56 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    topic came up today about docker/container-based solutions for
> embedded linux systems, and i already know some of that:
>
>   * meta-virtualization layer has recipes-containers/ recipes

FYI: there are actually quite a few container tools that are
outside recipes-containers in meta-virt.

>   * resinOS is tailored for containers
>
> i'm curious if anyone has summarized the container-related aspects of
> YP.

I've never seen a summary, but if you check the yocto bugzilla you'll
find more things on top of what currently exists in oe-core + meta-virt
for container features in planning.

Something I've been working on for 2+ years: https://github.com/OverC,
which is a container OS that Wind River builds into:
https://www.windriver.com/products/operating-systems/pulsar/

Togan labs is also working in the same area:
https://toganlabs.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/oryx-linux-v0-2-0-released/

There are lots of core features of oe-core/yocto that are ideally
suited to container work, tight dependency tracking, small footprint,
reproducible builds, application containers/microservices and that
all stems from everything like the recent work to allow kernel modules
to be installed without kernel images or the ability to build images
without kernels installed, SDKs, etc. So really, there's not a whole
lot in oe-core that I wouldn't say isn't peripherally of interest to
someone working with containers.

The various OTA update options also play in this area, as does the
work in meta-intel for clear containers, etc.

Mentioning OTA makes me chuckle, since having a consensus around
container features (and what is important, etc) is about as hard as
nailing down a consensus of defacto implementation for OTA :D

Everything that I do around containers ends up in meta-virtualization,
meta-cloud-services (and then meta-overc) so a shameless plug is to
check there for lots of guidance and information.

Bruce