[yocto] [meta-xilinx] How to include Xilinx DMA driver

Fan Zhang fzhang at sgl.com
Fri Sep 8 09:00:49 PDT 2017

Hi All,

I have a design on Zynq that uses DMA, and I need to setup a driver to
program the DMA controller, setup the data transfer and supply data to
user space.

I searched around in the Xilinx forum, and found an dma_proxy driver.
Xilinx also provides an xilinx_dma.c driver for the DMA. It is unclear
to me how these all fit together. I have a few questions and I
appreciate anyone to give me some pointer to moving things forward.

1. How to include xilinx_dma.c driver in to the poky image build?

    Xilinx wiki says enable these options: CONFIG_DMADEVICES,
    CONFIG_XILINX_DMA. I did a search on my bitbake folder, and they are
    enabled in a number of cfg files. But checking the environment with
    bitbake -e , and these options didn't show up. I can't find any
    xilinx_dma.ko in the build either. So what am I missing, and how can
    I include the xilinx driver into my build? Xilinx wiki page is here:
    http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/DMA+Drivers+-+Soft+IPs

2. I found a set of character device based dma driver, and it's user
space application example. A number of people refer to this solution as
an starting point for driver development. It's unclear to me whether
this driver is built on top of the Xilinx_dma driver. When I tried this
driver, it fails at requesting DMA channel. Anyone has experience with
this driver, could you share your experience? Thank you so much.

    Driver can be found here:
    https://bitbucket.org/Schnegg/pa/src/b8f430a3ebd756f231e88e5dc8523737ed5db034/petalinux_project/components/modules/dma_proxy/dma_proxy.c?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

Best Regards,

Fan