[yocto] Building Custom Python 3 Packages

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 5 22:10:41 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 2 September 2017 12:42:09 AM NZST Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 08/31/2017 04:54 PM, Seilis, Aaron wrote:
> > This clearly indicates that the issue is that the build is looking
> > for setup.py in the ${B} location, but it is only present in the ${S}
> > location when `devtool modify` has been run. I have tried setting
> > ${B} to ${S} explicitly in the recipe, but this doesn't result in
> > ${B} being changed when I run `bitbake -e mytool`. I could always
> > copy ${S} to ${B} in the recipe, but that seems a bit hack-ish.
> >
> > Did I miss something or is there another way that Python builds are
> > intended to work?
>
> I think this might be a limitation of setuptools: they do not support
> out-of-tree builds (which is a must for devtool modify'). If you can
> figure out how to solve it, that would be nice!

devtool modify does not require out-of-tree builds - I think in this instance
it's assuming that's OK, and it's supposed to be following what the recipe
originally used so that may be a bug. The workaround is to tell it to use the
same directory with the -s/--same-dir option.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton