[yocto] Adding dependency to recipe, when dependency ins't in build system

Demetrius Pampouktsis demech11 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:21:05 PDT 2017

Hello,

I have a custom recipe which has been building just fine. I am now
trying to add a runtime dependency (debian dependency) on the package,
and I can't seem to figure it out. The main issue is the dependency
isn't in the yocto build system.

I started off with what I know, and added below to the recipe.
     RDEPENDS_${PN} = "<package_dependency>"

And I received the following error.

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'package_dependency' (but
/home/yocto/fsl-release-bsp/sources/meta-custom/recipes-connectivity/ntpd-config/ntpd-config_1.0.bb
RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
NOTE: Runtime target 'miraclemax' is unbuildable, removing...
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['miraclemax']
ERROR: Required build target 'ntpd-config' has no buildable providers.
Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['ntpd-config', 'miraclemax']

After reading through some of the documentation. I found that RDEPENDS
will through an error if the package isn't in the build system.

I then tried some INSANE_SKIP
    INSANE_SKIP_${PN} += "build-deps"

And was still getting the above error.

Is there any way for me to add a dependency to a package without it
being in the build system?
--
Regards,
Demetrius Pampouktsis