[yocto] raspberrypi3-64 target not booting

Paul Barker pbarker at toganlabs.com
Mon Sep 4 13:31:47 PDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Bill Jenkins <bill at korgrd.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 25, 2017, at 9:42 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:39 AM Bill Jenkins <bill at korgrd.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to just get the simple 64-bit rpi-basic-image to work, but the
>>> Raspberry Pi 3 seems to hang with the rainbow screen at startup.
>>

>> Can you plugin a serial cable and see if that worked or try to add ssh
>> daemon on target and try to ssh into pi
>>>

>> That was a good call. I can login with the ssh daemon, so it does
>> successfully boot. I just
>> cannot access it from the HDMI port. (I do not have the hardware for a
>> serial connection
>> at the moment)
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get the HDMI port to function the same way as it does
>> for the
>> 32-bit case?
>>

> Readding the mailing list.
>
> what you have is exactly what I had when I submitted the port to
> meta-raspberrypi. Haven;t had a chance to revisit it. but this could
> be related to device tree files we are using here. I have had reports
> from other devs of having been able to boot into graphics using older
> kernels but I never got
> that far myself.

I'm seeing the same issue on builds from both pyro and master
branches. I've confirmed this isn't a HW issue by trying out an
OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 64-bit build for Raspberry Pi 3.

Khem, are you saying this is the current expected state of Raspberry
Pi 3 64-bit support? If so I'd really like us to document this in the
readme and open a bug so we don't lose track of it.

Paul Barker
Togán Labs Ltd