[yocto] bbappend - FILESEXTRAPATHS

Leonardo Sandoval leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 20 07:39:14 PDT 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:30:06 +0000
"Koehler, Yannick" <yannick.koehler at hpe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have been using Yocto for over 2 years now, and whenever I create a new
> bbappend file, I always have to remember that FILESEXTRAPATHS variable,
> often typing it wrong, EXTRAFILESPATHS or FILEEXTRAPATHS or FILESEXTRAPATH,
> etc.
>

> I did a quick check on my setup and on 102 bbappend recipe found, there are
> 73 that uses the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable, so that is around 71% of them.
>

> I was wondering if the team would enhance the user/dev experience here and
> modify bitbake behavior as to not require this variable and be able to
> "override" any FILESPATH that already exists with the bbappend location.  So
> that for example the FILESPATH "files" would be looked up in the bbappend
> folder location before the initial bb recipe folder location automatically
> without having to manually enter a FILESEXTRAPATHS statement.

One easy way to avoid this error is to place the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable inside a custom bbclass them inherit it from the recipe, at least it is less prone to typos. We do not want to force users to place patches inside a particular folder (policy), instead the system offer a mechanism to place these any place you want (other recipes choose PN, for example)

> Or alternatively, a script or command to create an initial skeleton bbappend
> with the initial .bb in comment
>

>                bbappend mylayer recipename.bb
>
>                # Create a file under mylayer/recipes-*/*.bbappend (using %
> for version when not specified on cmd line) with the original .bb in comment
> and a section containing FILESEXTRAPATHS

Right, I think there is no tool to create bbappends from the command line.

Anyway, feel free to file a bug (bugzilla.yoctoproject.org) with your enhancement.

--
Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez at linux.intel.com>