[yocto] bbappend - FILESEXTRAPATHS

Koehler, Yannick yannick.koehler at hpe.com
Fri Oct 20 06:30:06 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have been using Yocto for over 2 years now, and whenever I create a new
bbappend file, I always have to remember that FILESEXTRAPATHS variable,
often typing it wrong, EXTRAFILESPATHS or FILEEXTRAPATHS or FILESEXTRAPATH,
etc.

I did a quick check on my setup and on 102 bbappend recipe found, there are
73 that uses the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable, so that is around 71% of them.

I was wondering if the team would enhance the user/dev experience here and
modify bitbake behavior as to not require this variable and be able to
"override" any FILESPATH that already exists with the bbappend location.  So
that for example the FILESPATH "files" would be looked up in the bbappend
folder location before the initial bb recipe folder location automatically
without having to manually enter a FILESEXTRAPATHS statement.

Or alternatively, a script or command to create an initial skeleton bbappend
with the initial .bb in comment

               bbappend mylayer recipename.bb

               # Create a file under mylayer/recipes-*/*.bbappend (using %
for version when not specified on cmd line) with the original .bb in comment
and a section containing FILESEXTRAPATHS

I think this would greatly help when creating those files.

--

Yannick Koehler

HPE Aruba