[yocto] raspberrypi3 static library linking

Antonello Tartamo antonellotartamo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:35:21 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm using a raspberry pi 3 with meta-raspberrypi meta layer.

I have created a meta-layer (meta-kp) with two recipes directories:

   - *recipes-example*: an example taken from Embedded Linux Projects Using
   Yocto Project Cookbook with a static library recipe and the relative
   application.
   - *recipes-piface:* my recipes for an expansion board

   - libmcp23s17: a static library
      - exmcp23s17: an example just to use the previous static library
      - libpifacedigital: another static library which requires libmcp23s17
      - pifacedigital: the final application which requires both
      libmcp23s17 and libpifacedigital

My layer can be downloaded here: meta-kp
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmDwJEEGKdzcjZMVENNM1QzdUU/view?usp=sharing>

I've added in IMAGE_INSTALL_append both the recipe pifacedigital and
helloworldstatic.

I'm able to compile the image rpi-basic-image, but after booting the image
if I try to execute the application pifacedigital_cmd it prompts out the
following error:
/usr/bin/pifacedigital_cmd: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word
(expecting ")")

Instead helloworldstatic (recipes-example) binary properly works.

Have you ever faced some similar issue ?

Thanks in advance for your help