[yocto] How do I patch binutils for the SDK

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 11 23:23:03 PDT 2017

I found a bug in the GNU assembler that makes it produce corrupted
listings, reported it on sourceware bugzilla, and it has been fixed. Now
I'd like to take those small patches and apply them to the assembler that
winds up in the SDK. The patches are shown here:

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;h=39865a7f420ab4c
a4dec6ed27339618a5d5dc366

The only recipe I found in Pyro that seemed appropriate was
meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils-crosssdk_2.28.bb, so I created a
binutils-crosssdk_%.bbappend in my layer with a FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend
and a SRC_URI listing the patches, which I put into a binutils
subdirectory.

When I ran the populate_sdk task, the patches failed because they didn't
find the source files, which are supposed to be in a subdirectory called
gas.

So I'm wondering, is this the wrong recipe? Does something else build gas?
Or am I just doing this wrong? The workings of the build system are pretty
opaque and mysterious.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com