[yocto] Basic question: "core-image-minimal" v.s "core-image-base" ?

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 15:07:43 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I have a basic question: how to tell the difference between
> "core-image-minimal" and "core-image-base"?
> * If we look at file \poky\meta\recipes-core\images\core-image-base.bb
> ===================================================================================
> SUMMARY = "A console-only image that fully supports the target device
> hardware."
>
> IMAGE_FEATURES += "splash"
>
> LICENSE = "MIT"
>
> inherit core-image
> * how can we tell that "core-image-base" will include "support for a variety
> of hardware such as WIFI, bluetooth...", as compare to "core-image-minimal"?
> * Do I miss any other document that I need to read?

core-image-base takes the default value of IMAGE_INSTALL from
meta/classes/core-image.bbclass, but core-image-minimal over-rides the
default value and effectively removes packagegroup-base-extended.

See meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-base.bb for more
details of what gets pulled in by packagegroup-base-extended.