[yocto] Adding support for yum in a yocto image

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Thu Oct 5 12:08:45 PDT 2017

Hi!

On 05.10.2017 20:30, Mark Hieber wrote:
> I am building a yocto image to run on a network device, and I need to
> have yum installed in the image. Is this even possible?

Technically, yes. But you'll have to create the support for yourself.
The currently supported frontend for RPM is dnf (which has replaced
smart) and probably will not change very soon. So the more practical
answer is: no, not really.

I would also
> like to have the epel-release repository available in my image.

Uhm. Be aware that your custom built distribution is *not* some kind of
Fedora-Light. Its an entirely different distribution, and mixing in
repositories from somewhere is most certainly disastrous - or do you
think using that OpenSuse repo plays along nicely with your CentOS
install? :-)

So if you want additional software that is not packaged yet as an
OpenEmbedded recipe, the way to archieve that is writing the recipes.
Plus, rolling your own package server if you want runtime package
management, of course. But there already stuff prepared and should be
easy to find in the docs.

Greetz

--
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548