[yocto] Configuration fragments not making it into kernel configuration

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Oct 2 07:54:11 PDT 2017

On 09/30/2017 11:22 PM, Jonathan Haws wrote:
> All,
>
> I've created a bbappend that appends to the linux-yocto-rt recipe to
> simply apply configuration fragments.  I've been using this recipe for
> some time (through many releases) but since I moved to the morty branch
> my fragments aren't getting applied to the actual kernel configuration.
>   The kernel_configcheck task doesn't catch the error either.
>
> What I'm trying to do in a nutshell is disable the in-kernel IGB driver
> and use my own, patched version.  The configuration fragments are
> installed by my recipe in:
>
> <build>/tmp/work/corei7-64-intel-common-sigma-linux/linux-yocto-
> rt/4.8.3+gitAUTOINC+6d028d2818_4057556c04-r0/
>
> However the .config file at:
>
>   <build>/tmp/work/corei7-64-intel-common-sigma-linux/linux-yocto-
> rt/4.8.3+gitAUTOINC+6d028d2818_4057556c04-r0/linux-corei7-64-intel-
> common-preempt-rt-build/.config
>
> doesn't have the necessary configuration - it still has the default.
>
> I know I can fix this by simply doing a menuconfig, but that isn't the
> proper way to do it - I have multiple BSP layers that do the same thing
> and they all behave in the same way.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  I've attached my layer that contains the
> recipe.  If the fragments are getting installed I think the recipe is
> working right - but is there something in the lower-level class that
> isn't working or do I have a configuration that is breaking it?

I did a build with morty and your BSP, and I'm not seeing
the same results.

One notable difference is that if you are using the tip of
the morty branches, you should get 4.8.17, not 4.8.3.

I did zero extra configuration, just added your layer, meta-intel
and then bitbaked linux-yocto-rt.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I see in the BSP layer, but I
did get IGB disabled:

:~/poky/build/tmp/work/corei7-64-intel-common-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.17+gitAUTOINC+bb6984f46b_9c4f52cb2b-r0/linux-corei7-64-intel-common-preempt-rt-build$
grep CONFIG_IGB .config
# CONFIG_IGB is not set
CONFIG_IGBVF=m

And I did get a warning during the build:

Config: CONFIG_IGB_DCA