[yocto] Concept clarification: can we deploy Yocto SDK to target?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 29 15:03:27 PST 2017

Hi Jerry,

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 10:35:32 AM NZDT Jerry Lian wrote:
> I am confused about the concept of Yocto SDK:
> * when we use "bitbake -c populate_sdk some_image", we obtain sysroots for
> both target and host.
> * But why do we need sysroot for host?

The host sysroot actually contains the main part of the SDK - the cross-
compiler and other tools that need to run on the host. The target part usually
doesn't include any executable binaries, only libraries and debugging symbols.

> * I know we can build application under target-sysroot (surely source the
> environment), with fast speed.
> * But can we deploy target-sysroot to hardware-target?
> (Yes, I do want to compile/build application inside hardware-target, even
> though it is slow)

I would suggest an alternative - install the compiler and tools into your
image. You could do this when building the image, or alternatively if you
enable package management in the image you could install them after the fact.
At the image level there's a "tools-sdk" IMAGE_FEATURES item that will install
the appropriate packages; alternatively you can install packagegroup-core-sdk
which is effectively the same thing or for something a little more lightweight
there is packagegroup-core-buildessential (roughly equivalent to debian's
build-essential).

Cheers,
Paul

--