[yocto] Contribute meta-installer to yocto

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Nov 28 11:37:16 PST 2017

On 11/28/17 9:45 AM, akuster808 wrote:

> On 11/27/2017 09:20 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 11/21/17 3:24 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>> On 21 November 2017 at 08:55, Hongxu Jia <hongxu.jia at windriver.com
>>> <mailto:hongxu.jia at windriver.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     If yocto is interested in this layer and will accept it,
>>>     I could send pull request or some one directly fetch
>>>     from above github master branch.
>>>

>>> Are you asking for a git repo on git.yoctoproject.org
>>> <http://git.yoctoproject.org>?  If you want one I believe the process is to ask
>>> Michael Halstead.  There's no reason why it can't be maintained in this
>>> repository forever though,  just submit it to the layer index.
>> The request is for more then just a repository.  (We can get a repository
>> anywhere..)  What he is asking for is, is this something that the Yocto Project
>> itself wants to own.  He is still offering to be the maintainer of the layer,
>> but the project being owned by the Yocto Project itself has more implications.
> That is an interesting question.  Are you suggesting a discussion with
> the YP membership  since they are the ones who are providing the
> resources for the Project?

At present, we (Hongxu) intend to maintain the code and continue to evolve and
do all of the activities you would expect.  But I do think the YP membership
needs to at least be involved in a discussion of 'should this be a YP layer or
not'.  With the understanding that branding and [some day] resources may be
needed to continue the work.

(I want to make sure this isn't just shoveled over a wall and ignored.. that
serves no one.)

>> etc... what happens if he is no longer able to willing to maintain the layer.. etc.
>>
>> In addition, my understanding is a target based installer has places to insert
>> logos.  Currently these are blank.  If the Yocto Project wants to be the home
>> for this, then I would also hope that specific logos would be approved for use
>> within the default installer instance.
>>
>> If this is outside of the scope of what the Yocto Project itself wants to own,
>> then OpenEmbedded is the next place that might see value in this.... if not,
>> then a github project will be fine.
>

> Having an open discussion, like this is more in line with open source
> philosophy and I thank you.

This is exactly why I wanted it done this way.  The discussion needs to be open.
 This isn't a vendor specific BSP or vendor specific chunk of code.. (At least
it's not intended to be.)  Thus the broader question being asked.