[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW48’17

Jolley, Stephen K stephen.k.jolley at intel.com
Mon Nov 27 07:47:11 PST 2017

Current Dev Position: YP 2.5 M1 development

Next Deadline: YP 2.5 M1 cut off of 12/4/17

SWAT team rotation: Paul -> Todor on Nov. 24, 2017.

SWAT team rotation: Todor -> Tracy on Dec. 1, 2017.

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

·        We are continuing to suffer intermittent build failures and are continuing to attempt to debug these.

·        One piece of good news is that the qemuppc issue has been tracked down to a bug in qemu and we have a patch merged to address that.

·        Sadly:

o   The 4.3.12 kernel did not resolve the tumbleweed/f26 qemu hangs. It does appears to be a KVM APIC virtualization problem limited to mmio. If we enable x2apic which mostly uses msr accesses, the problem is significantly reduced.

o   We also have a hang issue with morty builds, occurring in smart through rpm/libdb with a mutex/pthread lockup. We don’t know why morty has started showing this issue on all builds, it is blocking the point release.

·        Until we resolve these issues patches will continue to be slow to merge, if at all. This also blocks several core developers from doing any feature work at this point in time (e.g. layer setup tool is on hold, again).

·        We can only continue to stress that unless others step up and help to try and root cause these issues, things will stall with the project.

Planned upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.2.3 is planned and should be out in the next few weeks when the hang issue is solved.

YP 2.3.3 is planned, but date TBD during YP 2.5 planning.

YP 2.4.1 is planned, but date TBD during YP 2.5 planning.

Key YP 2.5 Dates are:

YP 2.5 M1 cut off of 12/4/17

YP 2.5 M1 release of 12/15/17

YP 2.5 M2 cut off of 1/15/18

YP 2.5 M2 release of 1/26/18

YP 2.5 M3 cut off of 2/19/18

YP 2.5 M3 release of 3/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 cut off of 4/2/18

YP 2.5 M4 release of 4/27/18

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2700 (last week 2655)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.5_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.5_Features

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
•   Work Telephone:        (503) 712-0534
•    Cell:                              (208) 244-4460
• Email:                            stephen.k.jolley at intel.com