[yocto] apt-get

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Nov 9 03:25:52 PST 2017

(adding yocto@ back to CC)

I don't know where you saw that but that is very wrong.

Set PACKAGE_CLASSES to the package manager that you want to use.  If you
want to use opkg, then PACKAGE_CLASSES should be package_ipk (historical
naming).  If you want opkg to be present in the images ensure
IMAGE_FEATURES contains package-management.

PACKAGE_CLASSES controls what package formats are generated, and multiple
are supported for flexibility and testing purposes.  For real world use
there's no need to have more than one.  The first entry is the package type
that is actually used in the rootfs generation.

package-management needs to be in IMAGE_FEATURES to both get the tools
installed (opkg in your case, apt-get for dpkg, yum for rpm) and to keep
the package management database on the disk.  By removing
package-management from IMAGE_FEATURES all traces of the package manager
will be removed from the rootfs, which is useful if you don't want to
support on-target use of the package manager.

Ross