[yocto] Annoying "rerun to fix" bug for bitbake: task failed, but rerun can fix it.

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Wed Nov 8 07:53:48 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure whether it is a bug or an error:
> * Quite often, bitbake will fail before finishing, with message like: ...
> task failed with exit code 1...
> * But if you rerun bitbake, it will continue to build.
> * So sometimes I have to rerun many times for finish one build ----
> annoying!
> (by the way, my CPU can run 16 threads)
>
> Any idea to clear this annoying bug?

it's not a bug. bitbake is using parallel tasks a lot. At any time it
is running N tasks. When one task fails, it will wait for N-1 ongoing
tasks to finish, and then stops.

If you restart again, it will likely try N new tasks again, and the
same task that failed,  will fail again, it will wait for N-1 tasks to
complete.

if you do that several times, you will  end up in a situation where
the only task that can run is the 'failing' one, so it will try 1 task
and fail immediately.