[yocto] use native (cross) toolchain instead of a populated nativesdk (cross-canadian) toolchain

Zhen LiWei zhenlw at msn.com
Mon Nov 6 03:30:32 PST 2017

Hi, I am working on a yocto 2.0 based distro and we usually populate_sdk and use the toolchain included in SDK.

But we also like to check the SDK into a SVN repo, and checkout it anywhere, and use it away right where it is checked out. And since the nativesdk binaries are based on a different glibc than native, and have the “dynamic loader” path hardcoded in them, so I have to patch the toolchain binaries’ .interp secion to point to a common place, and update the loader into that common place automatically in some way. Other than this, things works very good for us.

Then I am thinking: is it a good practice, to use the native/cross toolchain directly from the tmp/sysroots/x86_64-native folder. I tried and succeeded, by just moving the sysroot to where the populated nativesdk toolchain was.

An extra bonus about this is that we got a more populated sysroot for native platform too, for example a openssl dev package at the same version as that on target, that we can actually use to make the native platform a closer-to-target dev env for some “workbench” build.

However I’m still wondering: is there any thing negative about this style? One thing known is that the SDK-using host need to be similar to the SDK-building host, but that is not an issue for us. But anything else, guys?