[yocto] [RFC] stable branch naming scheme

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 09:20:43 PDT 2017

Hello,

The problem I hope to solve is that a Maintainer can stage changes in
any branch in the contrib repos making it difficult for folks to track
their back port requests. The also makes it harder to automate any kind
of build automation.

I would like to propose a contrib naming scheme for the stable release
branches. I am thinking of the following:

stable/{version}-next or {special char}_stable/{version}-next.

   "version" is either the code name or numeric like in bitbake.

   "special char" would be used to have these branches at the top of th
list, if we wont that.

We can apply this to all OE / Yocto repos that have stable branch
maintenance process.

If we standardize on a naming scheme, We can then document this so
contributers can monitor their requests more easily. The community can
see what changes are being backport.  This will enable the possibility
to automate builds, etc.

let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Armin