[yocto] Kernel config fragments ignored

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 29 00:21:56 PDT 2017

I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few tweaks in response
to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's not finding
my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The .config file it
generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
things like CONFIG_X86_64=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.

My linux-yocto-rt_4.8.bbappend file lists my .cfg and .scc files in
SRC_URI, and they are indeed being copied into the build directory (at
tmp/work/chroma_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah). The docs
seem to imply that that's all I have to do: that they will automatically
be found and included, without my having to name them anywhere else. If I
intentionally put a syntax error into any of them, that erroneous file is
indeed copied, but nothing ever complains about the error, so it isn't
being read when I force a kernel_configme. Even cleaning the kernel and
repeating the kernel_configme doesn't change anything.

There is one .scc that includes the others, so that suggests that there
must be some mechanism for specifying that one and relying on the explicit
includes to pull in the rest. Its name is chroma-bsp.scc, which matches my
custom machine name specified in local.conf. It was previously called
chroma-bsp-preempt-rt.scc under Fido, but when that didn't work under
Morty, I tried changing the name, to no avail.

Also, I'm puzzled that the work directory name contains "chroma_bsp"
instead of "chroma-bsp".

What am I missing?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco