[yocto] [meta-freescale] etnaviv image

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sat May 27 21:20:33 PDT 2017

Hey Stephen,

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Stephen Arnold
<stephen.arnold42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Trevor what's your config/setup?  Did you wind up using the
> "use-mainline-bsp" thing?

Yes.

As I mentioned, I was working with a wandboard, on master, therefore
my layers are:
- openembedded-core
- meta-freescale-3rdparty
- meta-freescale

If I was working on some other board that didn't require
meta-freescale-3rdparty I wouldn't have needed that layer.
Additionally, I had started by using meta-etnaviv as well. That layer
hasn't seen any commits in roughly 10 months. Back then my guess is
that "upstream" didn't include very many of the bits required to get
this to work, therefore meta-etnaviv had to include recipes/bbappends
for mesa, libdrm, xorg-xserver, etc... in addition to the etnaviv drm
pieces themselves.

I created my own clone of meta-etnaviv
[https://github.com/twoerner/meta-etnaviv] and pushed all my
commits/updates there with the intention of, eventually, sending a
pull request to its author. But by the time I was done removing all
the things that are no longer needed (i.e. all the bbappends, since
upstream mesa, libdrm, etc... all include the necessary bits) and
updating the remaining stuff, I was left with very little. So little,
in fact, that I decided to simply fold what was left back into
meta-freescale itself, conditional on the "use-mainline-bsp"
MACHINEOVERRIDES, and sent those patches to the meta-fsl mailing list.

If the maintainers of meta-freescale accept the assumption that
use-mainline-bsp could be the flag that indicates interest between the
binary vivante drivers and etnaviv, then I hope they like the patches
and accept them into meta-freescale itself. Otherwise I could just
send that pull request to meta-etanviv's author (or re-work the
patches with whatever feedback I get). In any case, for wandboard
use-mainline-bsp is needed since the default kernel for wandboard is
linux-wandboard which is still stuck at 4.1.15 and is too old for this
etnaviv stuff. However using use-mainline-bsp with the wandboard is
broken, so I had to send some patches for that (u-boot and kernel) as
well (hopefully those patches are accepted as well).

Due to the fact so much of etnaviv is already upstream, getting
etanviv working doesn't take very much. It just took me a while to
reach that point, however :-)

> I pretty much had to hack up some of the meta-fsl/meta-boundary stuff and
> put everything else in local.conf.  It would be a little easier/cleaner if
> the former had some ?= in a few places...
>
> Anyway, I masked the browser stuff so I haven't tested that far yet, but all
> you really need for 3D under X is new kernel/libdrm/mesa for ~110 fps with
> glxgears.

I like to use mesa-demos and (especially) glmark2 as my programs of
choice for testing GL stuff.

> I added recipes for the x11-armada stuff, which seems to work for
> 2D but coughs an error in the xorg log.

I'm curious to know which x11-armada stuff you're using. I couldn't
get the stuff that came with meta-etnaviv to compile so I looked
around and found Russell King's code which seemed more up-to-date, and
compiled. Plus my xorg log doesn't have any errors (see attachment).

> I probably tested more with oe-core
> than poky but both should work.

I just tend to stick with oe-core.

I'm hoping to make a couple blog posts with my findings.