[yocto] Creating a directory in a recipe

bahjat khan khanbahjat at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 05:25:46 PDT 2017

I've searched the vast net for an answer to this but i've found NOTHING!  that works for me. All i want to do is a simple task, i want to create a new directory called "test" located in "/".
 My recipe is below

DESCRIPTION = "Hello world"
S = "${WORKDIR}"
SRC_URI="file://bye.sh"
LICENSE = "CLOSED"

LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://${S}/README;md5=e584df0feead52ed7de9b60172adc0cf "

#INHIBIT_DEFAULT_DEPS = "1"

do_install() {
      install -d /test/
    install -m 0777 bye.sh /test/
}

 I can't seem to to do this, the error message is below
[cid:927d4972-8462-4e14-a645-1e674bf9e641]
I understand that there is a permissions issue with making a directory in "/" but i have no idea how to to get past this.

I feel it would be very useful to newbies (like me) if there was a tutorial which gave solutions to simple tasks like this. The reference manual breezes over most things and i understand that it can't cover everything but this does cause a massive barrier to entry when learning Yocto. Apologies if i'm sounding a bit harsh but i've been self teaching Yocto for 3 weeks in my spare time and still don't have any fruits to show for my labour :'(.

Kind Regards,
Bahjat
(Very stressed engineer)