[yocto] What can I share between projects?

Darcy Watkins dwatkins at sierrawireless.com
Sat May 20 08:16:03 PDT 2017

Hi,

What about different bblayer.conf stackups?

I was always under impression that as long as you use same layer stack, and the same local.conf (except perhaps switching the MACHINE per build variant), you can share the same tmp directory.  (For example, I could build same project for multiple I.MX6 machines, then for a Layerscape machine, and then for i586 machine).  But once the layer stack changes, you need a different build directory.  (For example some QorIQ SDKs used different layer stacks between ARM and PPC architectures).

And in our case, since we use 'repo' to manage checkouts, as soon as you use different Yocto version branches, you pretty much need a separate checkout, but could share common downloaded content.

Are you saying that the sstate cache is smart enough to handle exact same package for same arch but just built using different layer stack?  (Say one case builds package A with a bbappend, but the other uses a bbappend from a different layer, and say they are at same bbappend revision).

Thanks!

___

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy Watkins ::  Senior Staff Engineer, Firmware

SIERRA WIRELESS
Direct  +1 604 233 7989<tel:+1%20604%20233%207989>   ::  Fax  +1 604 231 1109<tel:+1%20604%20231%201109>  ::  Main  +1 604 231 1100<tel:+1%20604%20231%201100>
13811 Wireless Way  :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4<x-apple-data-detectors://3/1>
[M4]
dwatkins at sierrawireless.com<mailto:dwatkins at sierrawireless.com> :: www.sierrawireless.com<http://www.sierrawireless.com/> :: www.inmotiontechnology.com<http://www.inmotiontechnology.com/>