[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Pull requests and jenkins

Paul Barker pbarker at toganlabs.com
Fri May 12 11:34:09 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know I promised long ago but finally I took a Friday to invest into
> github pull requests integrated with a jenkins server.
>
> The first PR on which I worked for this integration is
> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/67 . This PR:
> - migrates Readme to markdown file - any objections about this?
> - adds badges for jenkins builds and gitter room
> - add info about pull requests
>
> As well I pushed a PR from an external fork for testing -
> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/68 . This adds a log
> entry in gitignore which won't hurt anyway.
>
> Now, what I propose  is to start using pull requests as main way of
> contributing and mailing list as an additional (optional) way of
> advertising changes. We will keep it though for general discussions
> but keep contributions and issues (bug tracking) in github.
>
> About the jenkins server. The current setup is the following: for each
> PR, jenkins triggers rpi-basic-image for rpi, rpi2 and rpi3 using the
> target branch as the one on which the dependencies will be checked out
> (poky, meta-oe etc). If all three builds succeed then the PR is
> approved. I plan to start to add weekly builds for master and last two
> branches (morty and krogoth at this point) and additional boards. But
> for now I think it's a good start.
>
> Thoughts?

This looks great, cheers for setting it up!

I'm doing nightly builds of my setup but that's a bit non-standard
(custom distro, musl libc, u-boot enabled, etc). For meta-raspberrypi
itself I think you've got it right - test against the appropriate
branch of poky without changing the default configuration too much.

For the readme, I think we should split off
"docs/optional-build-configuration.md", "docs/board-configuration.md"
and maybe "docs/contributing.md" files to shorten the top-level file.
Does that sound sensible?

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker