[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Stable branch plans

Paul Barker pbarker at toganlabs.com
Tue May 2 04:19:42 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I've now got a bit of a vested interest in the next meta-raspberrypi
stable branch as I'm planning to use it as a demo platform for our new
Oryx distro.

In the past, the stable branch hasn't been created for a while after
the corresponding oe-core release. The changes made to the stable
branch after this haven't always been as conservative as I'd have
liked as well but that's just one opinion.

I'd like to propose the following for the pyro branch:

* We should create the pyro branch within a week or two of the oe-core
pyro release.

* After the pyro branch is created, changes on the pyro branch should
roughly follow the oe-core stable branch policy
(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_branch_maintenance#Policies).
I don't think we need to be incredibly strict but I do think we should
avoid making changes which may affect the behaviour of existing
recipes/bbappends. I would like us to keep doing stable-branch kernel
updates and adding new MACHINE definitions where possible without
affecting existing MACHINEs.

This would make the pyro branch perfect for my use case. But obviously
I'm not the meta-raspberrypi maintainer and I'm not the only person
with a use case. So I'd like to know what others think of this, is
this a good plan for meta-raspberrypi stable branches or should we be
more relaxed?

(I raised similar questions in response to another thread but I think
that email may have been missed by a few people so I'm starting a new
thread here in expectation that the oe-core pyro release is imminent)

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker
Co-Founder & Principal Engineer