[yocto] How to use *.bb file to select different kernel config/feature?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 05:33:09 PDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Richard Zhang <richard.zhang at pica8.com>
wrote:

> Hi all
>

> I want   to use one linux-kernel-myown.bb file to select different config
> for several boxes.
>
> I think when I give MACHINE to box1\box2\box3, the kernel config and
> features select can be done.
>

> Is it correct :
>

> when use MACHINE=box1\box2\box3 and so on:
>

> KERNEL_FEATURES_append_box1=" cfg/box1.scc"

These are variables like any other in bitbake. They can take a variety of
overrides, one of which is the machine
name. So yes, you could append a kernel feature only for your $MACHINE with
the line above.

But you must be using a kernel recipe that inherits kernel-yocto for the
feature to be processed.

> KERNEL_CONFIG_box1=" cfg/box1_defconfig.cfg"

Assuming KERNEL_CONFIG is a valid variable in your layers, this would also
work. But if you are using
configuration fragments and kernel-yocto, that isn't a variable that is
used.

Bruce

> this instruction could work?or any suggestion.
>

> Regards
>
> Richard

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"