[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Sum up - Proposal: dealing with language-specific build tools/dependency management tools

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Thu Mar 16 12:41:36 PDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 10:48 +0000, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> An issue with not having separate recipes is going to cause problems
> with OTA package updates. I currently have a node package that I
> maintain for a client and it's so big (excess of 30,000 files with all
> deps) that we have to have a special update procedure of uninstalling
> the package, re-installing the new version and then performing a system
> update. A package update with 30,000 files on a quad core fast arm64
> chip takes upwards of 40 minutes. It would be fantastic, if only the
> core node application and changed dependencies could be updated.

If only some files changed, then going from a package-based update
mechanism (where a package gets reinstalled when any file gets changed)
to a file-based one (like swupd or OSTree) should also address the
problem, because then the update detects exactly the modified files and
only needs to replace those.

Just a thought, in case that auto-packaging turns out to be too hard.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.