[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Sum up - Proposal: dealing with language-specific build tools/dependency management tools

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 16 03:35:31 PDT 2017

On 03/16/2017 11:30 AM, Paul Barker wrote:
> Staying with NPM as the example, say we have a tree of 1000
> dependencies for a top-level application recipe. I understand that
> generating and then parsing 1000 recipes will bloat things and slow
> down the build. However, we do need some way to apply patches to those
> dependencies or fix metadata. For example, what if the license is
> stated wrong on npmjs? What if the dependency list itself is wrong? What
> I've always liked about OE is that you can fix this sort of problem in a
> recipe when you need to.

Uhm, no. Separate recipes are simply not gonna work for npm, or Go, or
Rust without ugly hacking. Those 1000 deps are all pulled by 'npm
install' into the source tree of the thing you want to build and then
installed together with it into a private directory, having them as
separate recipes would mean that you need to fetch and install them
separately, which is simply not how npm operates.

You can still patch them dependencies just fine if there's just one
recipe; once they're pulled in, apply the patches.

Alex