[yocto] make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'fitImage'. Stop.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 14 13:16:35 PDT 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i'll start a new thread to focus on just this issue. again, building
> core-image-minimal for mpc8315e-rdb, adding this to local.conf:
>
>   INHERIT += "kernel-fitimage"             <-- do i need this line?
>   KERNEL_IMAGETYPES_append = " fitImage"
>
> anyway, run:
>
>   $ bitbake virtual/kernel
>
> and eventually get:
>
>   make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'fitImage'.  Stop.

... snip ...

  i would still love to figure out how to generate a simple FIT image
when building core-image-minimal for mpc8315e-rdb.

  first, based on what i read, my first attempt was to add the
following line to local.conf:

  KERNEL_IMAGETYPES_append = " fitImage"

however:

  $ bitbake virtual/kernel

  ... snip ...

  | NOTE: make -j 8 HOSTCC=gcc  HOSTCPP=gcc  -E uImage
  CC=powerpc-poky-linux-gcc  -fuse-ld=bfd LD=powerpc-poky-linux-ld.bfd
  | NOTE: make -j 8 HOSTCC=gcc  HOSTCPP=gcc  -E fitImage
  CC=powerpc-poky-linux-gcc  -fuse-ld=bfd LD=powerpc-poky-linux-ld.bfd

  ... snip ...

  | make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'fitImage'.  Stop.
  | Makefile:150: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
  | make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
  | Makefile:24: recipe for target '__sub-make' failed
  | make: *** [__sub-make] Error 2

which makes sense since there is no such target, "fitImage", in the
kernel build structure.

  what am i screwing up here? how do i generate a simple FIT image?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca