[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW11’17

Jolley, Stephen K stephen.k.jolley at intel.com
Mon Mar 13 07:55:07 PDT 2017

Current Dev Position: YP 2.3 M3

Next Deadline: YP 2.3 M3 by Feb. 27, 2017

*** FEATURE FREEZE for 2.3 is now in effect. ***

SWAT team rotation: Tracy -> Alejandro on Mar. 11, 2017.

SWAT team rotation: Alejandro -> Jussi on Mar. 18, 2017.

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

·        The focus for the past week has been patch merging. Details follow but the plan is to build M3 early this week. We’ve focused on getting the right pieces in rather than forcing to specific date deadlines.

·        Of particular note is a late change to filter out the contents of PATH and symlink only to utilities in a specific whitelist. There was a real risk that had we not done this, the project’s reputation on determinism and reproducibility would have been damaged. This change may cause some pain for people as we make sure the dependency metadata is correct but I believe the longer term benefit is worth it, as is ensuring we have a reputation for deterministic and reproducible builds.

·        The GPLv2 recipes where the upstream had switched to GPLv3 licenses have been separated out into a separate layer: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/meta-gplv2

·        The go patches have also merged. There may be need of subsequent fixes from some of the other layers and I’d like to see some better automated tests but this provides a starting point to work around.

·        The multilib issues with the smart -> dnf transition have been resolved. Given that and that M3 hasn’t built yet, I’m now thinking we should take this change (and the corresponding rpm v5 -> v4) since I prefer that and potentially taking slightly longer in M4 rather than delaying the switch six months.

·        The smart/dnf question is the one real remaining decision to be made about M3 and the build will commence after that is made. We’ve test built with and without the patchset with green builds.

·        Since we’re into the stabilization phase of 2.3, planning for 2.4 will be beginning soon and we’re starting to plan out 2.4 in the bugzilla. If you have suggestions for 2.4, please ensure they are in bugzilla.

Proposed upcoming dot releases:

YP 2.1.3 Cut off May 15, 2017

YP 2.1.3 Release by May 26, 2017

YP 2.2.2 Cut off May 29, 2017

YP 2.2.2 Release by June 9, 2017

Key YP 2.3 Dates:

YP 2.3 M3 Release is Mar. 10, 2017 (Will be a few weeks late.)

YP 2.3 M4 Cutoff is April 10, 2017

YP 2.3 M4 Release is May 5, 2017

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2715 (last week 2737)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.3_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.3_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.3_Features

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
•   Work Telephone:        (503) 712-0534
•    Cell:               (208) 244-4460
• Email:                            stephen.k.jolley at intel.com