[yocto] occasional confusion in bsp guide, mixing BSP layer name and machine name

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Mar 4 02:12:09 PST 2017

  as i claw my through the bsp guide, i notice the occasional
confusion between referring to the BSP layer itself and a machine
supported by that layer.

  a couple times, i've found references to the alleged machine
configuration file "conf/bsp_name.conf" (which i'm changing to
"conf/machine.conf"). and in section 1.4, i read the snippet:

///// start

Following is a specific example to help you better understand the
process. Consider an example that customizes a recipe by adding a
BSP-specific configuration file named interfaces to the
init-ifupdown_1.0.bb recipe for machine "xyz" where the BSP layer also
supports several other machines. Do the following:

Edit the init-ifupdown_1.0.bbappend file so that it contains the
following:

  FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

The append file needs to be in the meta-xyz/recipes-core/init-ifupdown
directory.

Create and place the new interfaces configuration file in the BSP's
layer here:

  meta-xyz/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/files/xyz-machine-one/interfaces

///// end

so we have a section that ostensibly describes the BSP layer
"meta-xyz", but first refers specifically to the machine "xyz" (even
though the layer is described as supporting multiple machines), and
further extends the directory structure with the machine name
"xyz-machine-one". is it just me, or is that confusing and
contradictory?

  sure, it's excruciatingly pedantic, but is there a doc-wide standard
for names to be used for stuff like this? otherwise, i'll just make
something up to clean this up (assuming, of course, that it needs
cleaning and i'm not just hopelessly misreading all of this).

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca