[yocto] Determining the correct layers for a Beaglebone build.

Kenny Koller kenny at understoryweather.com
Mon Jun 26 21:45:25 PDT 2017

Thanks Khem,

At the moment I simply want to build a headless minimal install for a
Beaglebone Black. Once I achieve this I plan to customize the distro for my
device. Here is what I am finding confusing:

This link <https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps/pyro23/beaglebone>
looks to be the place to start. It is the "download" page for the
Beaglebone. It lists, as a build system, Poky 2.3. It lists as a download
"git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-yocto -b pyro" which in turn contains, as
subdirectories, meta-poky, meta-yocto, and meta-yocto-bsp. But these three
directories already exist when I check out poky. If I ignore this for the
moment the layer index suggests that a dependency is openembedded-core. Has
this been merged in to Poky or must I clone this as well?

meta-ti isn't mentioned. If I search for meta-ti I find this BSP
<https://www.yoctoproject.org/product/meta-ti-bsp-layer> which makes me
think that perhaps this work has been merged in to meta-yocto-bsp as no
recent version of Poky is supported.

Regarding the tags: If I check out the pyro branch of poky am I getting
something that is stable and has been tested? I thought perhaps the tags
with `pyro-17.0.0` would point to stable tested commit.

The reason I'm trying to sort all of this out is that when I ran a `bitbake
core-image-minimal` with Poky Pyro it failed. It was missing u-image. All I
did was clone Poky/Pyro and set the MACHINE to beaglebone. It got pretty
far though. It seems to have built the kernel and the device tree binaries.
No signs of the root filesystem or the bootloader (u-image):

core-image-base-beaglebone-20170621162619.testdata.json
core-image-base-beaglebone.testdata.json
core-image-minimal-beaglebone-20170624014756.testdata.json
core-image-minimal-beaglebone.testdata.json
modules--4.10.9+git0+ad2e885015_fe0fb8da3d-r0-beaglebone-20170621162619.tgz
modules-beaglebone.tgz
zImage
zImage--4.10.9+git0+ad2e885015_fe0fb8da3d-r0-am335x-bone-20170621162619.dtb
zImage--4.10.9+git0+ad2e885015_fe0fb8da3d-r0-am335x-boneblack-20170621162619.dtb
zImage--4.10.9+git0+ad2e885015_fe0fb8da3d-r0-beaglebone-20170621162619.bin
zImage-am335x-boneblack.dtb
zImage-am335x-bone.dtb
zImage-beaglebone.bin