[yocto] Determining the correct layers for a Beaglebone build.

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 17:17:29 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Kenny Koller
<kenny at understoryweather.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out which set of meta layers I need to build a distro
> and images for a Beaglebone Black.
>
> I cloned poky and within I see meta-yocto and meta-yocto-bsp. The latter has
> recipes for the Beaglebone.
>
> I also found this page which suggests cloning meta-yocto:
>
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps/pyro23/beaglebone
>
> Then there is meta-ti. Where does this fit in?

yocto project used beaglebone black as one of its reference boards
so you can find a default reference yocto BSP for it.

Secondly, meta-ti is TI BSP layer which also supports beaglebone black
since the board is from TI

> Also when I clone say poky should I checkout the branch or a specific tag?

you can use git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky -b pyro
for getting latest stable release.

> It's not clear to me the best way start with a piece of hardware then
> determine the correct layers.

I would suggest to do a bit more investigation as to what you need.
meanwhile you can build yocto reference BSP and play with it. There
are many packages that meta-ti would have that you might need depending
upon what you plan to do.