[yocto] : cmake and create_symlink using cmake 3.5 and yocto 2.2.2

Ehrlich Andrei Andrei.Ehrlich at corpuls.com
Mon Jun 26 11:46:00 PDT 2017

Hello everybody,

Please excuse the newbie question I want to ask, but I started with yocto and cmake 3 month ago and now I have a couple of recipes based on cmake. One of that cmake files installs links using following code:

install(
            CODE "execute_process( \
                COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E create_symlink \
                __tool \
                ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin/tool_${DST_NAME} \
            )"

When the code is executed in yocto  the do_install task fails with following error:
failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/tool_intf': Permission denied

The cmake code attempts to install the links to the root_fs of my development host. The code I write recipes for is currently under development and cmake files are provided by developers. Therefore I would like to use developers cmake files and avoid permanently updating do_install task in my recipe. Unfortunately I can't find any possibility to force the cmake recipe to install the links to target root_fs. I would be glad to know if somebody has already faced a similar problem and probably has a solution for it.

Best regards
Andrei Ehrlich