[yocto] Using A Proprietary Closed License Inside A Layer & Its Recipes

Thomas Thorne Thomas.Thorne at net2edge.com
Fri Jun 16 02:12:23 PDT 2017

>> Is it only possible to use the special
>> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>> license for licenses not already placed in the main license directory?
>
> Yes, there's special-case logic for 'CLOSED'.  Can you not just use that for your internal pieces?  It's special-cased in a few places.

I can use CLOSED.  I just wanted to ensure I was following the recommended or best practice.

As this is an internal thing it should be OK for now.  I was wondering what would happen if a closed licenses was updated, as nothing would currently note the md5 change.

The mega manual mentions CLOSED in 7 places.  One of those places also lists "Proprietary" as a value so I could used either in some cases.  Based on my reading of the manual "Proprietary" would not be exempt from setting up the LIC_FILES_CHKSUM, but CLOSED would be.