[yocto] Is linux-yocto-rt kernel compatible with x32 tune?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 23:13:29 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:11 AM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> I've been fighting with this off and on for a week. If I build
> core-image-minimal for a generic86-64 machine, I can get it to use the x32
> ABI, or I can switch to the linux-yocto-rt 4.8 kernel, but I can't do
> both.
>
> If I do both, it builds with no complaint other than a lot of bit size
> errors in grub-efi do_package_qa (which don't seem to matter with the
> standard kernel). Most binaries, including loadable kernel modules, are
> properly built as ELF architecture i386:x64-32, but the kernel itself is
> built as i386:x86-64. The result is an immediate kernel panic trying to
> run init, because the kernel doesn't know how to load it.
>
> I understand that not all packages have been updated to work with x32, but
> the RT kernel? Is this a combination that is known not to work? If it is
> expected to work, am I the first person to try to boot it on actual
> hardware? I'd like to know either that this simply won't work, so I can
> stop wasting time on it, or get some help diagnosing the problem and
> fixing it. I'm stumped.

I can't think of a reason off the top of my head that would prevent this
from working at the kernel level.

But can you confirm that a non-rt build for the same board works with
x32 ? It could just be a kernel configuration issue if it does work with
non-rt, since the -rt variant may not have a BSP entry point defined.

Bruce

> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"