[yocto] Image lacks libraries needed by SDK

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 13 16:24:38 PDT 2017

I have a working system image for my 32-bit Atom-based hardware, based on
Morty. My application is a C++ program that runs as a systemd service.
I've always built the application outside Yocto, using the Eclipse CDT and
whatever GCC was on my Ubuntu system. It gets installed into my hardware
on a separate partition, but runs fine because my build host and target
are both x86 machines.

In order to try out the much more recent compiler in the Yocto SDK (and to
prepare for converting to a different architecture in the future), I built
a standard SDK by using do_populate_sdk on my image. I managed to modify
my project to use the toolchain and libraries in the sysroot in the SDK,
and it successfully produces an executable. But when I copy this into my
system, it barfs because there is no libstdc++.o (and perhaps other
libraries) on my system. And there is no libstdc++.a in the SDK.

Why would the SDK, built against a particular image, not include the same
shared libraries as that image? I noticed that when I built an SDK under
core-image-minimal, it didn't include libasound, but that was included
when I built it under my own image which includes ALSA. So it's obviously
paying attention to what's in the image. So is there some package I need
to include in my image to complete the set of libraries to match what's in
the SDK?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com