[yocto] Yocto for NFS/SDN networking product

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 07:15:34 PDT 2017

Generally individual components wrote there own component build
systems using gmake, cmake, autotools etc. then they let the distros bundle
it using their meta builders like rpm, dpkg etc.

Yocto however is providing a mechanism to roll your own distro
so many large projects now a days deploy it as the default build
infrastructure for the project and build a "just enough OS" for
their projects to work. I havent looked in detail into OpenSwitch
but I believe its a single component and then it has external dependencies
it relies on.

With yocto projects layer structure it also lets you choose only
relevant layers into the project build system which might be relevant in
openswitch case.

Therefore, if you are building a full platform build around openswitch, you
have to use some platform build system and it
could well be yocto. if you are just build a single component
from openswitch and dont care where it gets packaged and distributed, then
you could just get it going on your linux machine
you have and build/debug/test natively.