[yocto] Upgrading to Yocto 1.8 : Kernel module issue due to missing work-shared/<arch>/kernel-source

Koehler, Yannick yannick.koehler at hpe.com
Tue Jul 18 10:19:45 PDT 2017

Hi guys,

Question for you, we were using Yocto 1.6, and I am proceeding to upgrade to 2.2, going one release at a time.  Upgrade to 1.7 was with no problem, but 1.8 seems to have an issue due to missing work-shared/<machine>/kernel-source folder (aka STAGING_KERNEL_DIR or KERNEL_SRC).  The folder appears missing and the main reason behind it is the usage of externalsrc for the kernel.  The kernel.bbclass appears to copy the ${S} content to ${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR} folder, but it does so under the do_unpack function via base_do_unpack_append().  The thing is that the externalsrc.bbclass remove the fetch/unpack task from existing for any package, including kernel.  It is yet, interesting to see that the base_do_unpack_append() function does check for the presence of EXTENRAL_SRC variable, even if that task for this context is never ran.

As such, I am unclear about what the ideal way to resolve this is, as I required the folder, and in previous release this was created in the do_install.  So I am thinking of putting it back there, yet, I do not understand why the EXTERNAL_SRC variable is referred from unpack, which seems like a noop to me, and as such I am afraid to have miss something.

Any help appreciated.

--
Yannick Koehler