[yocto] How do you build 2 versions of the same recipe and a specific version from bitbake cmd line

Sat Jul 15 05:47:05 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 2017-07-14 23:32, Robert Joslyn wrote:

> Just to clarify, the typical way this is done is to put the major
> version number as part of the package name. For example, the recipes
> could be called zeromq3_3.2.2.bb and zeromq4_4.1.5.bb. This assumes
> zeromq can tolerate having multiple versions installed at the same
> time.
>
> Robert

I did not try but I think in the meantime we can have the same package
with different versions in the same image.

The docu says about (run time dependencies) RDEPENDS:

"BitBake, which the OpenEmbedded build system uses, supports specifying
versioned dependencies. Although the syntax varies depending on the
packaging format, BitBake hides these differences from you."[1]

[1]
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-RDEPENDS

What's unclear to me is how this works with build time dependencies
DEPENDS? I guess somewhere you need to say that you want to link against
version 3.2.2 for one package and against 4.1.5 in another package and
since it looks like DEPENDS doesn't contain versioned dependencies I
guess you need to work with names like zeromq3_3.2.2.bb and
zeromq4_4.1.5.bb.

Is this the case?

Which in turn makes me wonder what's the use case for RDEPENDS and
versioned dependencies.

Regards,

(Another) Robert