[yocto] Antwort: How to make changes and build u-boot source code in yocto

Maciej Pijanowski maciej.pijanowski at 3mdeb.com
Mon Jul 3 00:04:05 PDT 2017

On 07/03/2017 08:49 AM, S.Jaritz at esa-grimma.de wrote:
> Hej ho
>
> my Workflow for adjusting uboot (u-boot-at91):
>
> 1.) build the original uboot
> 2.) apply changes
> 3.) create patch
> 3.1.) if you reconfigure it -> save/copy the config
> 3.2.) if you adding code -> use meld or something similar to create a
> patch
> 4.) create u-boot-at91_%.bbappend
> 4.1) copy patch/config into that recipe dir
> 4.2) check u-boot-at91_%.bbappend paths etc.
> 5.) rebuild
>
> I you mess to much around in /tmp/work*** you should use "-c
> clean"/"-c cleanall" to reset it
>
> regards
>
> Stefan
> ESA Elektroschaltanlagen Grimma GmbH
> Broner Ring 30
> 04668 Grimma
> Telefon: +49 3437 9211 181
> Telefax: +49 3437 9211 26
> E-Mail: s.jaritz at esa-grimma.de
> Internet: www.esa-grimma.de
>

> Geschäftsführer:
> Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Gaitzsch
> Jörg Reinker
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Grimma
> Ust.-ID: DE 141784437
> Amtsgericht: Leipzig, HRB 5159
> Steuernummer: 238/108/00755

> Informationen.
> Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
> erhalten
> haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese
> Nachricht. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe
> dieser Mail
> ist nicht gestattet.

> you are
> not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please
> notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
> strictly
> forbidden.
>

> Von: Prasoon Kumar <prasoonkumar1295 at gmail.com>
> An: yocto at yoctoproject.org
> Datum: 03.07.2017 08:34
> Betreff: [yocto] How to make changes and build u-boot source code in
> yocto
> Gesendet von: yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org
>

> Hi,
Hi Prasoon,

> I am trying to make some changes in u-boot code and using bitbake
> u-boot to build. But it doesn't build.
> I also tried bitbake u-boot -c compile and bitbake u-boot deploy. This
> also didn't work.
>
> Can I Get some help on how to change and build u-boot.

You may also take a look at devtool [1] when you are in phase of trying
something out. Creating patch
and bbappend file is indeed proper and final solution, but in
development phase can take up much
more of your time. In fact, you could use devtool to create patches and
append file as well.

In short, devtool uses local source code to build from instead of
fetching from mirror every time.
To use it:

1. Following command will extract and patch git repo in specified path:

   devtool modify -x u-boot ~/projects/poky/build/u-boot-devtool

2. Make some changes in source code.

3. Rebuild given recipe:

   devtool build u-boot

4. You can add some commits inside `u-boot-devtool` directory and update recipe with:

   devtool update-recipe u-boot

   It will create patch from each commit and automatically add them to appropriate
   directory and recipe file. For example:

   NOTE: Adding new patch 0001-test.patch
   NOTE: Updating recipe u-boot_2016.03.bb

5. When work with temporary source directory is done, run:

   devtool reset u-boot

Se attached link for more information

[1]
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-devtool-in-your-workflow