[yocto] Raspberrypi3 with Kodi (as an exercise)

Juan José Casafranca juan.casafranca at kdab.com
Sat Jul 1 04:10:34 PDT 2017

Hi everybody,

I'm completely new to the Yocto project, just started playing with it
and my rpi3 two days ago.

As an exercise to learn how Yocto works, I'm trying to build a rpi image
which can launch kodi.

Right now I'm able of building an image which contains kodi,but when I
try to launch it, it fails. It says that it cannot create the GUI. (I
have tried kodi, kodi --standalone and kodi-standadlone, same result)

In order to build the image, I had to add

MACHINE_FEATURES += "vc4graphics" so it gets mesa as egl, gl and opengl
provider.

If I dont add that feature, kodi complains about not finding egl during
configuration. I dont understand why it complains, since userland (the
default) its a egl provider (as it says in the recipe at least, probably
I am understanding something incorrectly).

Could you please guide me a little bit with this? As I said, it's my
first time playing with embedded devices and with yocto, so some
explanations would be nice :-)

Thanks!