[yocto] Where to find help for yocto application and and system development

Rick Altherr raltherr at google.com
Fri Jan 27 10:16:55 PST 2017

I hear you asking a lot of reasonable questions that probably seem trivial
to most of us who have been using Yocto for a while.  We tend to forget
what it was like the first time.

I can't tell what reading and research you've done so far.  Have you read
both the BitBake User Manual
<http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.2/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html>
 and Yocto Project Reference Manual
<http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.2/ref-manual/ref-manual.html>.  Those
explain many vital details such as: what many of the variables, like
SRC_URI, are used for, the syntax rules for recipes, directory structure of
the metadata, and more.  It's a lot to read and some sections are confusing
but it's a huge resource that will answer many questions.

As others have mentioned, IRC and this mailing list are both excellent
places to ask questions.  I personally get asked a lot of questions that
require some research and more lengthy explanations.  I've started writing
my responses in an advice column form on my blog at
http://www.kc8apf.net/category/dear-brother-yocto/.  (Note to Yocto
experts: I'm certain to get things wrong in my explanations.  Please send
in corrections as well.  I'm happy to include them.).

Rick