[yocto] Changing over to systemd (no dhcp)

colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Wed Jan 18 07:10:23 PST 2017

We have a configuration for our embedded system which is working via SysV,
but we're investigating moving over to systemd.

Not sure if this is 'wise' - if anyone has technological arguments
for/against then I'd be interested - but I wanted to investigate it anyway.

I've modified local.conf (right or wrong) with

  DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"

  VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"

  DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"

  VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""

  KERNEL_ENABLE_CGROUPS = "1"

I also found a readme
(https://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/README#n37) about the
kernel requirements for systemd, and it does at least now boot.

However although eth0 is coming up ('ifconfig eth0'), there doesn't seem to
be any dhcp happening - no IP etc.

Previously (under SysV) I had the busybox dhcp client; now it seems that is
missing. There's a symlink /etc/systemd/system/busybox-udhcpc.service to
/dev/null

I'm using

  Poky Jethro

  Kernel 4.4.0

  Busybox 1.23.2 (with 'CONFIG_FEATURE_SYSTEMD=y')

I wondered if this is just a simple switch I'm missing somewhere, or is
there a whole load more modifications I need to dig into and hand-craft?
(Was hoping for something 'out of the box'..)

Thanks