[yocto] Whats the better way to maintain the Yocto project for an embedded product - git submodules or repo or using Combo-layer

Eswaran Vinothkumar (BEG-PT/PJ-IOT1) Vinothkumar.Eswaran at de.bosch.com
Wed Jan 18 01:32:15 PST 2017

Hello Yocto community members,

Currently I am working on the task of using Yocto to build customized Embedded Linux distribution for an embedded product. I have created a new BSP layer for my project (meta-custommachine) and have successfully created barebox, Linux Kernel and root filesystem images for my board.

Now I wish to create an internal repository for Yocto project to track and maintain the changes. I am unclear what is the better way to create an repository. I googled for the same and found that the Freescale community is maintaining their Yocto project using the repo tool. So I tried to have a similar structure for my project. I created a repo with the default.xml file which has the information about where to fetch the repositories for poky, meta-ptx and meta-custommachine. I am seeing the folder structures as expected and build is also fine.

I had a discussion with one of my senior team member about this and he is interested in using git submodules. So I tried to add the layers meta-custommachine and meta-ptx within poky repository as sub-modules. Is this the proper way of adding new layers within the poky repository? Or may I know how can I maintain a Yocto repository using git submodules. Does git submodules work better than repo tool ?

I am newbie to create and maintain a repo, so I am not able to visualize what is the future effect of choosing one over the other. Currently I am using the krogoth release of Yocto and planning to update this with new Yocto releases.

Any information on the topic would be helpful.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Vinothkumar Eswaran