[yocto] Override machine conf settings

Ayoub Zaki ayoub.zaki at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 12 10:37:55 PST 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how can I override machine settings, for example
in raspberrypi  I want to change default kernel version from 4.4.x to 4.1.x
for that I created in my layer meta-somelayer/conf/machine/raspberrypi.conf
:

require conf/machine/raspberrypi.conf
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-raspberrypi = "4.1.%"

when I ran bitbake it gives:

$ MACHINE=raspberrypi bitbake virtual/kernel

NOTE: Tainting hash to force rebuild of task
/home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-somelayer/recipes-kernel/linux/
linux-raspberrypi_4.4.bb, do_compile

so it seems that bitbake ignored my override settings !

I'm using morty branch and my layer meta-somelayer has higher priority than
meta-rapberrypi :

$ bitbake-layers show-layers
layer                 path                                      priority
meta                  /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta        5
meta-yocto-bsp        /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-yocto-bsp  5
meta-poky             /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-poky   5
meta-yocto-bsp        /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-yocto-bsp  5
meta-raspberrypi      /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-raspberrypi  9
meta-somelayer        /home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-somelayer  5

when I tried to override the setting in rpi.conf instead of
raspberrypi.conf in meta-somelayer/conf/machine/rpi.conf:

MACHINEOVERRIDES = "raspberrypi:${MACHINE}"
require conf/machine/raspberrypi.conf

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-raspberrypi = "4.1.%"

and running bitbake with :

$ MACHINE=rpi bitbake virtual/kernel
NOTE: Tainting hash to force rebuild of task
/home/zak/Projects/yocto/meta-somelayer/recipes-kernel/linux/
linux-raspberrypi_4.1.bb, do_compile

it worked !

My objective however is to override the machine settings and keep the same
MACHINE name.

Any Ideas?

Regards,